Saturday, September 5, 2015

Helen of Sparta by Amalia Carosella (Book Review)

Helen of SpartaHelen of Sparta by Amalia Carosella
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I would not have enjoyed this novel, with its romance-style writing, if not for the fantastic use of history and mythology, which was what I read it for. The romance aspect was worth one star (I dislike romances); competent writing worth one more;  and the history and mythology were excellent enough to push it up two more stars.  Great portrayal of demigods who were children of kings and gods at the same time, and the appearance of Athena and Poseidon in their mortal children's lives. I love Greek history and mythology but every other story of Helen I’ve read or watched focuses on her presence in Troy; this story of Helen pre-Paris was refreshing.

Like others, I was not happy with the ending. As I have written before, the only writer who can get away with abruptly ending a book in the middle of the story is Tolkien. It feels to me like an attempt to manipulate me into the next book. Make me want the next one by doing a standout job with this one. Minus a star, for a net of three.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment