Saturday, February 6, 2016

Serendipity and The Last Two Detectives (Book Review Twofer)

The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)The Last Detective by Peter Lovesey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars







and



My rating: 3 of 5 stars







A happy accident!

I logged in to my library’s website to check out Robert Crais’ The Last Detective, then thought no more about until I picked it up to start reading. Wait a minute. Where’s the hero I was expecting? There’s no Elvis Cole here. Check the cover...who's this Peter Lovesey dude?

A good writer, as it turns out.

I went back and checked out the book I was originally after, paying attention to the author's name this time, and read one after the other, back to back. They are both detective novels, and they are both good, but the similarities end there.

Robert Crais’ The Last Detective is the ninth book in the Elvis Cole /Joe Pike series, fun modern PI fiction that is like popcorn to me. This installment pulled me in more than any other in the series has done, and toward the end I couldn't put it down.

Peter Lovesey’s The Last Detective is the first in a series of British police procedurals in the vein of P.D. James and Ngaio Marsh. Detective Peter Diamond hates technology and loves Sherlock Holmes and doesn’t mess around getting to the bottom of things. Also a very good read with a quickening pace toward the end - I was so engrossed I almost missed my bus stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment