Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Book Review)

Fahrenheit 451Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"There is nothing magical in them [books], at all. The magic is only in what books say, how they stitched the patches of the universe together into one garment for us."

I should have read this book before now.  I'm not a huge sci fi fan but I love just plain good writing and I love love love dystopian fiction.  So, let's see.  Television has taken over the world, to the point where fictional characters are closer to us than our own families.  We're full of mindless chatter instead of talking about things that matter.  Houses aren't built with porches because nobody sits on them and talks with their neighbors anymore.  We stick electronic things into our ears and zone out to whatever's playing.  There's no substance; everything is superficial.  Consumerism is king.  Politicians are elected like it's a popularity contest rather than a tough job that needs to be done right.  Wars are fought and no one but the very high-ups even know the real reasons.  People are sheep instead of thinking for themselves.

It's a little bit creepy, how right Bradbury was.  I love his writing.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment