Saturday, November 28, 2015

The Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín (Book Review)

The Testament of MaryThe Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Disclaimer: I am, with full intent and forethought, not Christian, for reasons I won’t go into, although I do believe Jesus lived and had much to teach us. Call me a heretic; I don't mind.

I am not surprised to see that people are not pleased by this book, specifically with Mary’s sentiment that the redemption of the world at the cost of her son’s life “was not worth it.” What mother wouldn’t feel that way? Of course she was certain it was all a mistake, a show, a construct. I personally am pleased with this glimpse of a human, non-deified Mary, her anguish and guilt, her blissful memories of her son’s childhood, her grief and solitude as she waits patiently for her own death.

At 81 pages I read it in about two hours. The use of language is elegant, the reality stark. A beautiful little book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment